Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chicken, Nuts & Mushrooms

OK so now for something a bit savory. This is one of my all time favourite meals. Mom would make it for guests when we were young, and she would put a bit aside for me in a bowl, so later that evening when they were in the lounge I would nip down and enjoy. Years later when I first met my husband to be, I discovered that each year, his birthday dinner would be ‘Chicken, Nuts & Mushrooms’. Both moms did it a little differently, and I have combined them both and come up with something a little more modern, but still good home comfort food.

Ingredients
A whole cooked chicken (or if you don’t have one, cook 2 chicken breasts and rip it up)
Sliced mushrooms
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 pkt mushroom soup
1 tsp curry powder
Good handful of cashew nuts

Method
Spread chicken over base of casserole dish.
Spread sliced mushrooms over chicken (use as mush as you like, I prefer for it to be almost a double layer of mushrooms).
Mix the mushroom soup with the milk and cream and bring to the boil (just – don’t allow it to boil too much)
Remove from heat and add curry powder, stir well and pour over chicken.
Sprinkle cashew nuts over the top.

Place in oven @ 180°C for about 25mins or until heated through thoroughly.

Serve with Jasmine Rice and a fresh green salad.

2 comments:

skatey katie said...

well, can you beLEIGHve that i've eaten this as well>>> your mom cooked it for me'n'hubby when we had a grown ups dinner at your place.
i remember cos i was aghast that she made you all eat microwave pies. downstairs. by yourselves. even the sanguine.
lol
now i know how she bribed yas.

i'm definitely gonna try this one. i even have a cooked chook in my fridge, which was GONNA be a chicken and feta salad tomorrow but i think it may morph into auntie bethie's chicken pie
mmmmm X

Rosie said...

Yippee! Thank you Leigh for sharing this recipe.......have thought about guessing how to make it ever since a home group dinner one night....yum! The blog looks great, I will certainly be back to try a few of these delights:-)